Developing a staple makeup routine is an essential practice for any makeup lover. An everyday makeup look can streamline the process of getting ready and provides the perfect base for simple yet high impact adjustments. When it comes to switching up your makeup look, the change of seasons is a particularly good opportunity to do so. Not only are certain formulas better suited to different weather conditions, but beauty trends fluctuate seasonally too, so you might find yourself inspired to play with new colours and textures in your makeup kit. Read on to discover how to create makeup looks cohesive to each season.
Year-round makeup essentials
Expanding your makeup collection with a few key items can help you revamp your look, but not every item needs to be replaced. There are a few products that enhance all makeup looks and remain steadfast throughout the year.
- With endless shade combinations, our 10-pan YSL eyeshadow palettes make it easy to transform your eye makeup season to season.
- Mascara is an essential item in anyone’s makeup kit. Choose a nourishing formula that delivers on length and volume, like the Mascara Volume Effet Faux Cils.
- When it comes to lips, the Rouge Pur Couture collection makes creating seasonal makeup simple, with a formula to suit any taste, and shades for every skin tone.
How to update makeup looks with the seasons
Adapting your look to mirror the seasons is a dynamic approach to makeup - but trying different products and learning new techniques can be intimidating. Luckily, you don’t need to abandon your everyday makeup routine with each new season. Instead, consider your current makeup routine the foundational look that can be edited to create an array of different styles. We’ve compiled this list of our favourite seasonal makeup trends to assist you in updating your look throughout the year. Whether you prefer to focus on eye, lip, or face makeup – discover ideas and techniques to easily modify your makeup below.
Summer makeup looks
In summer, prominent makeup trends mirror the warm and bright feeling of the season. Beauty industry trends in 2022 saw ‘the clean look’ and carefully placed, pops of colour emerge as popular features of summer makeup. These trends show no sign of disappearing in 2023 – so whichever style you prefer, the tips below can help to infuse your makeup with the feeling of summer.
- Eyes: Use a clear gel to style brushed out brows, then apply a barely-there shadow on the eyelids. Add a splash of bright pigment at the inner corner of your eye using a small, pointed makeup brush.
- Lips: A hydrating lip balm or clear gloss can create a natural luscious lip look. If you prefer to add a little colour to your lip makeup looks, a sheer finish remains a summer classic.
- Face: Summer heat calls for comfortable complexion makeup with a touch of radiance, so the Touche Éclat Illuminating Highlighter Pen is the perfect addition to your makeup collection.
Autumn makeup looks
Though the weather gets colder, the colours of autumn have a depth and warmth that can be tastefully reflected in your makeup look. Choose to focus on either eyes, lips, or face – or make a statement by pairing two of the following ideas together in one autumn makeup look.
- Eyes: Copper, gold, and bronze shadows are timeless colours for autumn makeup looks; but if you prefer matte formulas, look for caramel, brown, and rust shades. Use liquid eyeliner to add a high impact winged liner.
- Lips: If you’re partial to deeper lip colours, autumn is the perfect time to lacquer your lips with berry tones, wine shades, and terracotta hues.
- Face: A touch of bronzer can be a subtle way to mirror the natural tones of autumn; so learn how to apply bronzer and which to use.
Winter makeup looks
While dark colours and matte textures will always have a place in winter makeup styles, beauty trends in 2022 proved colour and glow can capture the feeling of winter too.
- Eyes: Update the smoky eye with black pencil eyeliner and jewel toned metallic shadows like cobalt blue or amethyst purple.
- Lips: The 90s brown lipstick look has re-emerged as a beauty trend and it’s perfect for winter. To achieve the look, apply a lipliner just a shade or two darker than your lipstick and top with gloss.
- Face: In winter, durable complexion makeup is ideal. For matte shine control and a flawless finish no matter your skin type, try the All Hours Liquid Foundation, available in 37 shades with SPF 20.
Spring makeup looks
Spring has long inspired some of the most memorable beauty trends. It’s a colourful time of year that evokes a fresh and lively feeling that can be seamlessly translated into makeup. Here are the spring makeup looks we’re loving.
- Eyes: A wash of champagne coloured shadow evokes elegance while peach and apricot hues can express a playful style.
- Lips: Spring makeup is all about luminous lips and the Rouge Volupté Shine lipstick collection has a shade for everyone in formulas that will hydrate and nourish your pout.
- Face: As the weather warms up, lightweight complexion makeup can be more appealing. For coverage that gives a lit-from-within radiance try the Touche Eclat Glow-Pact.
Want more ways to enhance your makeup? Great makeup looks begin with perfect skin, so discover everything you need to know about facial serums.
Build your ultimate makeup wardrobe with YSL Beauty