A flawless base is the hero of any makeup look and requires selecting a foundation shade that matches your skin tone identically. The perfect foundation shade can create an imperceptible makeup base with second skin coverage, blending seamlessly with your skin tone to attain a perfected, uniform complexion. To find foundation shades that provide that natural, ‘no makeup’ look, it’s important to identify your undertones, test multiple foundation shades, and know your skin type. Ahead, learn everything there is to know about how to find your foundation shade.
How undertones impact skin tone & how to choose foundation
An essential element of how to choose foundation colours best suited to your skin is understanding both your skin tone and its undertones. While skin tone indicates depth of colour - light, medium, or deep – undertones play an influential role. This is the colour that emanates from underneath the surface of the skin and influences your overall hue.
- Warm undertones influence a golden, peachy hue.
- Cool undertones have a pink or bluish colouring.
- Neutral undertones are a combination of warm and cool undertones.
Let’s examine how to identify your skin’s undertones.
How to identify your skin’s undertones
Undertones area key element of colour matching foundation shades. The foundations that best flatter your skin will share value with your undertones. There are a few methods you can use to discover your undertones:
- The vein test: Examine the colour of the veins on the underside of your wrist. Green indicates warm undertones, while blue or purple is associated with cool undertones, and a both or neither relates to neutral undertones.
- Comparing clothing: Cool undertones glow next to true whites, while off-white garments tend to complement warm undertones. Those with neutral undertones will notice both colours flatter the skin.
- Tan vs burn: SPF is a must no matter the weather, but skin that burns easily can indicate cool undertones – while warm undertones may tan before experiencing redness.
How to find your foundation shade match
With undertones identified, you can now find foundation shades that are complementary to your colouring. In terms of how to choose foundation shades when shopping online, find a perfect match with our virtual consultations. If you prefer to test shades in person, it’s important to properly assess each swatch to find your perfect foundation match to skin tone. We’ve compiled the below tips to help with how to find your foundation shade.
Tip 1: Testing shades
To test foundation shades, select 3-4 colours in line with your undertones, and with a similar depth of hue to your skin tone. Skin isn’t uniform across the whole body, so to find foundation shades suitable for the face, swatch formulas on the near the jawline, instead of the arm or neck. This will allow you to find a shade as close to your face colouring as possible. Similarly, different lighting can alter the appearance of skin, so assess foundation shades in natural lighting rather than artificial lighting. The swatch that appears invisible in natural lighting is your ideal foundation match to skin tone.
Tip 2: Adapt to the seasons
As the seasons change, so too does skin colour. Even with SPF, heightened sun exposure in the warmer months can tint the skin a shade or two darker or richer, while skin tone can appear lighter or less saturated during the winter months. Now you know how to choose foundation shades that blend seamlessly with your skin, it’s simple to repeat the process each season to ensure your foundation shade is always flawless. Our All Hours Liquid Foundation is available in almost 40 luminous shades, so you can find your perfect match no matter the season. Infused with hyaluronic acid, the formula weightlessly melts into the skin for a perfect complexion that lasts for up to 24-hours.
Know your skin type for the perfect formula
Correctly colour matching foundation is a vital part of achieving flawless base makeup, but skin type is also a factor. Understanding your skin type can help in avoiding cakey makeup and foundation cracks by choosing formulas specifically designed to support your skin concerns. There are three broad skin types:
- Oily skin produces excess sebum that can cause a shiny appearance.
- Dry skin holds less moisture which can result in bumpy textures and flakiness.
- Combination skin is prone to texture differences across the face.
Particular formulations are best suited to each skin type, so discover your ideal foundation and concealer with the All Hours collection.
Now you’re ready to find your perfect foundation shades, learn how to choose lipstick colours for your skin tone.
Build your ultimate makeup wardrobe with YSL Beauty